A school trip to the National Museum of Scotland

Arriving

Our trip to the museum was wonderful, we all had a lovely time. First we walked through the museum to get to our room and we passed some lovely, interesting things like a giant plane hanging from the ceiling, an old-fashioned motorcar, a magnificent old clock and much more awesome things. When we arrived at our room we sat and Mr Hull told us a bit about the rainforest. Then he gave every group an artefact and told us to guess what it was. My group had elephant skin. It was rough, grey and wrinkly.

Animal Exhibit

Once we had talked about our artefacts he gave every pair a picture of an animal that we had to find in the animal exhibit. Me, Leona and Raegan had a Bengal tiger, which didn’t take that long to find. We found out loads of information that we didn’t know. After we found out our information we were allowed to look in the space exhibit for a little while. I preferred the animal exhibit though because they had so many amazing sea and land animals like sharks hanging from the ceiling and lions on the rocks – it was absolutely fantastic!

Standing in front of the amethyst geode in the Restless Earth gallery
Standing in front of the amethyst geode in the Restless Earth gallery.

Adventure Planet

After lunch we walked through the museum to go to more exhibits. At one exhibit I put my hand through a hole and felt something slimy and I squealed, I daren’t check what it was. At another exhibit I got to smell through a speaker thing to smell a skunk (it stunk). I saw many wonderful videos of Earth and Space as well.  We wandered round for a while and then headed back to our room to make rainforest bugs.

Watching the video in the Earth in Space gallery
Watching the video in the Earth in Space gallery.

Rainforest Bugs

Mr Hull handed out some dough type things to everyone to make rainforest bugs to help us think about hiding in different environments. I made a snail and put it where I thought it would go well. We got to take our bugs back to school to display and show people what we had done at the museum.

Rainforest bugs on display
Rainforest bugs on display.

Leaving

We said thank you to Mr Hull and had one last walk round the museum before we got back on the bus and set off back to school. We had a lovely day at the National Museum of Scotland.

Lucy’s class visit was part of the Robertson Trust funded project which is working with schools to develop boxes of museum objects available for free borrowing. Find out more on the Community Engagement web pages.

- Posted

Add your comments

0 comments