Engaging with Science: bringing biomedicine to the museum

“So, what do you actually do?”

It’s a question I’ve been asked a lot over the last few weeks. It’s always exciting to start a new job, but one that no one has done before is doubly so – that’s just where I find myself as the new Science Engagement Officer. I’m part of the Learning and Programmes team, but I’ll be working closely with the Science and Technology curators, in particular with my counterpart there, Sophie Goggins, whose post is also funded by the Wellcome Trust. Our primary aim is to develop the Museum’s biomedical offerings. How? That’s the fun part – we’re working it out now!

Strawberry DNAquiri, anyone? Photo by Chris Scott.

It’s been a busy time so far – an array of meetings and introductions, the chance to play with one of the most advanced artificial hands in the world and an encounter with a sty full of green fluorescent pigs have kept me out of trouble.

Ali Floyd, Science Engagement Officer (right) with fluorescent pigs at the Roslin Institute. Photo by Bruce Whitelaw.

So, what sort of things will be happening over the next few months?  We’re planning a range of exciting new shows, workshops and more, looking at biomedicine for all ages – I see a series of sessions called “Baby Bio”, for starters. We’re also looking at new ways to bring working researchers here, to let people see the exciting work happening in Scotland.

LateLab at Edinburgh International Science Festival 2014. Photo by Chris Scott.

I’m particularly keen to see the return of Rock the Lab, our touring science show, which I was heavily involved with in my previous job at Edinburgh International Science Festival.

Lewis Castle. 28 degrees. Rock on!
Lewis Castle. 28 degrees. Rock on!

You can find out more about the new Science and Technology galleries at the National Museum of Scotland here. Got any ideas for new science fun? Tweet me @NtlMuseumsScot.

Other posts by this author.